DURHAM – No. 8 Duke defeated Virginia Tech, 7-1, on Senior Night at Koskinen Stadium. The Blue Devils (10-3-2, 4-3-1) finished undefeated in the regular season at Koskinen Stadium for the second consecutive season and secured the fifth seed in the upcoming ACC Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Duke offense tested the visiting goalkeeper early, forcing two saves in the opening 13 minutes of action.
- A Virginia Tech own goal opened the scoring in the 20th minute, giving Duke the 1-0 lead.
- The physicality picked up as the first half wore on, with 10 fouls and two yellow cards shown over the next 16 minutes.
- The Hokies leveled the score, 1-1, in the 37th minute, as an attempted clearance by the Duke defense fell to the feet of a Virginia Tech attacker, who crossed the ball to the far post where his teammate was waiting to slot home the goal.
- Duke pushed forward on the attack as the second half started, earning six corner kicks within the first seven minutes after the break. Ulfur Bjornsson broke through in the 54th minute, heading in a ball that was headed across the box by Forster Ajago.
- Ajago and Bjornsson quickly…