New York City FC Downs Philadelphia Union

Defender Alexander Callens Departs New York City Football Club 

May 15, 2024 – Major League Soccer (MLS)
New York City FC News Release

New York City FC recorded a massive 2-1 road win against Philadelphia Union on Wednesday night. City enjoyed the perfect start to the evening after taking the lead in the second minute through Alonso Martinez. They would double that advantage in first half injury time via a brilliant Hannes Wolf freekick. Philly halved City’s advantage through Carranza early in the second half, but it was not enough as City ran out winners on the night.

Match Recap

New York City FC were looking for back-to-back road wins for the first time in 2024 on Wednesday night as they took on the Philadelphia Union.

City secured a brilliant 3-2 result against Toronto FC on Saturday and were hoping that momentum could power them towards another positive result in Chester, Pennsylvania.

Head Coach Nick Cushing made three changes to the team that took on Toronto last time out with Mitja Ilenič, Keaton Parks, and Agustín Ojeda replacing Tayvon Gray, James Sands, and Malachi Jones.

City would enjoy a dream start to the evening as they managed to take a first-half lead through Alonso Martínez after just two minutes.

The product of a devastating counter-attack started by Andrés Perea, his perfectly weighted pass sprang Santiago Rodríguez in behind Philly’s defensive line.

The Uruguayan still had work to do, however, and after getting his head up he calmly squared the ball to the back post for Martínez to slam home.

Philly were keen to restore parity as quickly as possible and that saw Julián Carranza test Matt Freese at his near post with a snapshot – the former Union goalkeeper doing well to parry the ball behind for a corner.

At the other end, City were proving a threat in transition and a beautiful sweeping pass from Keaton Parks allowed Rodríguez to run inside from the left and poke an effort towards goal from a tight angle.

Following up to try and convert the rebound was Perea, but his shot lacked the accuracy to trouble his former team.

Play was temporarily halted for several minutes midway through the first half after a raccoon entered the field. After a brief standoff the adorable furry creature was eventually removed from the field so play could continue.

Meanwhile, Perea would enjoy a busy first half against Philadelphia and with the half-hour mark fast approaching he fired off a shot from distance that required a good save from Oliver Semmle.

The hosts were determined to go in level at the break and…

Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at OurSports Central Major League Soccer MLS News…