MADISON, Wis. – The No. 16 Wisconsin women’s soccer team will open up postseason play on Sunday, Oct. 29, at home. The three-seeded Badgers will face the six-seeded Scarlet Knights of Rutgers in the Big Ten quarterfinal.
Here are five things to know:
1. KNOW THE OPPONENT: The Scarlet Knights have clinched the sixth spot in the Big Ten Tournament with a record of 9-6-3 and 5-4-1 in the conference.
Allison Lowrey leads Rutgers in goals (6) and assists (4). The Scarlet Knights average 1.33 goals-per-game and have only contested 15 goals this season.
The two teams last saw action in 2022 in New Jersey. Rutgers came out on top, 2-0, but the Badgers still lead the series 5-3-2.
2. RACE TO COLUMBUS: The Big Ten semifinal and championship rounds will be held in Columbus, Ohio, on Nov. 2 and 5. The bracket will be released following Sunday’s quarterfinal matches.
3. RECAPPING THE WEEK: The Badgers are coming off a huge upset against No. 4 Penn State on Jeffrey Field. Ashley Martinez scored the game-winning goal in the 83rd minute. Aryssa Mahrt grabbed the apple.
The last time the Badgers claimed a win at Penn State was in 2010.
4. HOW TO FOLLOW: Watch the Badgers take on Rutgers on B1G+. The Big Ten Tournament Central can be found HERE. Additionally, follow Wisconsin women’s soccer on X (@BadgerWSoccer) and Instagram (@badgerwsoccer) for updates leading up to the match.
5. UP NEXT: Wisconsin’s fate will be determined Sunday, with the Big Ten Tournament being single elimination. A win would have the Badgers facing Ohio State or No. 19 Nebraska on Nov. 2 in Ohio.